Why should you use Galera?
Why should you use Galera instead of the classical MySQL replication!
- Galera is multi-master, NO SPOF!
- Galera is synchronous, MySQL is asynchronous. MySQL 5.5 seems to be half-sync. Which implies no latency from the other nodes
- Galera is multi-threaded, MySQL is single-threaded
- Galera is easy-to-scale, MySQL needs to be configured manually
- Galera accepts writes and reads to any node, which brings tremendous performance
- Galera doesn’t need pacemaker, no failover, etc…
- Galera works nice with WAN replication
- Automatic membership control (TOTEM protocol)
- No slave lag
- No binlog position to set
- Mix well with load-balancer: HAProxy, pen, GLB, LVS…
- Percona repos available
Not everything’s perfect like:
- Galera only supports InnoDB engine, pass this one.
- The MySQL version is patched
- Require at least 3 nodes (true limitation?), 2 nodes + garbd is also ok
If you are still not convinced, give a try!