The War for Open Source Clouds
Little study about the recent release of CloudStack as Apache Licence. Little battle between OpenStack and CloudStack, FIGHT!
Cloud operating system
One cloud management machine
X hypervisors nodes
Xen Cloud Platform
Mature object storage (swift)
Nova core fairly stable
Robust compute core
Trendy marketing impact
Rich Management User Interface (company/customer side)
Native AWS API set
Networking management, will be solved with Quantum in Folsom release
No object storage
Less attention and participation than OpenStack
Forum total posts
Forum total topics
Forum total users
Mailing list messages
Mailing list active members
OpenStack cloud gains version, loses Citrix
- Experts immediately said that there is no big impact for OpenStack
- OpenStack Swift win!
- OpenStack breakthrough for Folsom release ? (Quantum addition)
#CloudStack released as Apache license
This action was well planned by Citrix and has several goals:
- Attract new contributors and developers
- Increase the product visibility
- Big boost for the developments and community
- Eclipsing the new release of OpenStack
- 2 weeks after the Amazon and Eucalyptus partnership ; joined forces to lock public and private cloud
- Citrix officials said during a conference call they wanted a platform that would embrace Amazon Web Services, the market-leading IaaS provider, and they did not believe OpenStack does that.
##Citrix evil plan?
By releasing CloudStack has Apache license Citrix fractured the open-source cloud alliance against Amazon and in the meantime abandoned the Olympus project
- Increase adoption of his platform
- AWS API win!
- Rise of the XenServer?
But what Citrix will do after many years of adoption? (if CloudStack overcame OpenStack)
Bad future scenario
At the end you will be able to run your critical applications in your private cloud using CloudStack under an OpenStack swift layer (funny), from time to time you will need extra instances or simply need to run a public cloud. De facto you will use both AWS API and Eucalyptus tools to manage it. Eucalyptus tools will help you to migrate your workloads between your CloudStack private cloud and Amazon Web Services. This will bring you facilities to create, manage and maintain your hybrid cloud.
Note: The tables were created with http://www.compareninja.com